REFINE 

Browse All : Images of Kalamazoo (Mich.) from 1910 - 1920

1-4 of 4
Administration Building...
ca. 1915
exwa_wmup_u-10072
 
Title Administration Building with additions in winter, East Hall, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1915
Time Period 1910 - 1920
Description Photograph featuring the Administration Building with the Gymnasium and Training School additions on the top of Prospect Hill. In the foreground are the tennis courts. Photograph taken from Davis Street. To the far right is the Trolley, a two-track cable car built in 1908. Designed by Battle Creek architect, Ernest W. Arnold, the Administration Building was completed and occupied in 1905. The Gymnasium was added in 1908 and the Training School in 1909. They were later known as East Hall. The Trolley (or Normal Railroad) remained in use until 1949.
Davis street neighborho...
ca. 1910
exwa_wmup_u-10076
 
Title Davis street neighborhood from top of the Training School, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1910
Time Period 1910 - 1920
Description View of Davis Street neighborhood and Kalamazoo from the top of the Training School on Normal Hill (earlier Prospect Hill). View looking Northeast. Photograph appeared in the 1911 and 1920 Brown & Gold yearbooks.
Construction site, West...
ca. 1915
exwa_wmup_u-10081
 
Title Construction site, Western State Normal School
Date ca. 1915
Time Period 1910 - 1920
Description Construction site west of the Administration Building clearing an area for increased parking possibly at the time the Science Building was erected. View features a crane and dump truck.
Administration Building...
ca. 1916
exwa_wmup_u-10087
 
Title Administration Building and Training School, Western State Normal School
Date ca. 1916
Time Period 1910 - 1920
Description Front of Administration Building with Gymnasium addition and the Training School featuring porticoes and freestanding iconic columns. View looking South. Designed by Ernest W. Arnold, the Administration Building was WMU's first building, opening in 1905. Together with the additions, it was also known as the Education Building and by 1967 as East Hall. In July 2015, it was renamed again as Heritage Hall, the home of the WMU Alumni Center.
1-4 of 4