REFINE 

Browse All : Images from 1940 - 1949 and ca. 1940

1-18 of 18
Administration Building...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10100
 
Title Administration Building, exterior from west, Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the Administration Building from the west. View features the cupola, second level stairs, and parking area. The Administration Building was completed in 1905.
Bertha Davis and Opal S...
ca. 1940
[Davis, Bertha Shean, 1...
exwa_wmup_u-00029
 
Title Bertha Davis and Opal Stamm
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of Bertha Davis and Opal Stamm by 939 Walwood Place. Davis served first as a music instructor in 1914, then as dean of women from 1917 until 1947. Stamm was an assistant professor of Home Economics, 1934-1963.
Campus drive and Health...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10040
 
Title Campus drive and Health and Personnel Building, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of students on the sidewalk along campus line drive. A student stands on the sidewalk in front of Health and Personnel Building. Cars are parked along the drive. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939. It was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center.
East Campus circle driv...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10035
 
Title East Campus circle drive, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph East Campus circle drive in between the Administration Building, Library and Science Building. View from the North featuring the front of the library in the background. Cars are parked in the drive.
Ellis Walker, health se...
ca. 1940
Walker, Ellis J., 1878-...
exwa_wmup_u-00017
 
Title Ellis Walker, health services, at her desk
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of Ellis J. Walker, Director of Health Services, 1927-1946, at her desk in the Health and Personnel Building.
Ellis Walker, health se...
ca. 1940
Walker, Ellis J., 1878-...
exwa_wmup_u-00016
 
Title Ellis Walker, health services, portrait
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Portrait of Ellis J. Walker, Ph.B., R.N., Director of Health Services, 1927-1946.
Main entrance of East c...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10055
 
Title Main entrance of East campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the main entrance to East Campus on Prospect Hill in winter, Western State Teachers College. The view features the Training School addition to the Administration Building and the south side of the Health and Personnel Building. The Training School was one of two wings added to the Administration Building in 1909. It was used as the University School and High School until 1969. Together with the Administration Building and Women’s Gym, the Training School was renamed East Hall in 1952. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939 and was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at the southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking northwest shows almost all of the building gone except for a few sections of exterior walls. East side entrance stairs war gone. Salavaged materials surround building. Park Builidng most prominent in background.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking northwest shows majority of exterior walls down, only first floor remaining. Salvaged materials on ground. Park Building on horizon. People and cars walk along South Burdick.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph, looking west, shows only the first floor remaining. Most of the walls are gone but view shows the layout of the various rooms.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph is looking southwest showing portion of building without roof and without glass in the windows. Also shows a portion of the Michigan Bell Telephone Building next door.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking west showing roof of tower and building both removed. Also glass from windows also removed.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking southeast towards rear of the building. People walking down West South Street. Glass removed from windows of Richardsonian Romanesque structure. Roof of front tower has also been removed. Two men are standing on the roof.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph, looking northwest, shows south side of the Richardsonian Romanesque structure along South Burdick Street. It is the original 1892 building seen along with 1904 addition to west. Glass removed from several of the windows including the corner tower. Also shows street lamps.
Spindler Hall, exterior...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10450
 
Title Spindler Hall, exterior, East Campus at Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Exterior of Spindler Hall looking northwest. Built in 1940, Spindler Hall was origially a women's dormatory and later became an independent housing facility for doctoral, graduate, senior and non-traditional students. Spindler Hall was named after Lavina Spindler, who served at Western from 1907-1938 as director of the Campus School, Dean of Women, and Freshman Advisor. The building featured reliefs of female students and a female figure in a mentoring relationship.
West Hall with greenhou...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10150
 
Title West Hall with greenhouse at Western State Teachers College, facing south
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description South facade of West Hall, originally known as the Natural Science Building and Science Hall. The greenhouse was added to the building in 1940. The Science Building, designed by E. W. Arnold, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at Western State Normal School in 1915. West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences for over 30 years. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
West Hall, northeast fa...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10160
 
Title West Hall, northeast facade, on the East Campus of Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Northeast facade of West Hall, formerly known as the Natural Science Building and Science Hall. The Science Building, designed by E. W. Arnold, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at Western State Normal School in 1915. West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences for over 30 years. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
Women standing in parki...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10017
 
Title Women standing in parking lot, East Campus, Western Michigan College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Woman standing under a sign in the parking lot behind the Administration Building, Western Michigan College, Kalamazoo, Michigan. In the background is the front of the Library building, constructed in 1924.
1-18 of 18