REFINE 

Browse All : Images from 1940 - 1949

1-50 of 391
1 2 3  
Richland Covenant Churc...
Richland (Mich.)
between 1944 and 1953
 
Title Richland Covenant Church
Description Richland Covenant Church, later renamed New Hope Church, replaced a blacksmith shop at 8140 N. 32nd St. in Richland, Michigan, where they stayed until 1953.
Date between 1944 and 1953
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Richland Presbyterian C...
Richland (Mich.)
1947
 
Title Richland Presbyterian Church
Description People enter the Richland Presbyterian Church in Richland, Michigan.
Date 1947
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Employees of the Granul...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employees of the Granulation Center, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Eight first year employees in the Granulation Center at Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Employees pictured left to right are Glenn Schoolcraft (1944), Everett Weybright (1936), Henry Triezenberg (1942), Fred Brant (1943), Joe Engels (1943), Bert Orbeck (1942), Dan Dorgan (1942), and Willis Miller (1923). Information on the photo indicates that Donald Witters (1943) is not included in the photo and the total years of service in this area represents 39 years. The Upjohn Company was a pharmaceutical manufacturing firm founded in 1886 by Dr. William E. Upjohn. The company was originally formed to make friable pills, which were specifically designed to be easily digested. In 1995, Upjohn merged with Pharmacia AB to form Pharmacia & Upjohn, and was later merged with Pfizer.
Employee of the Granula...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employee of the Granulation Center, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Male employee working in the Granualation Center at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo. Employee guides ingredients through a pan-feed comminuting machine. A plaque on the front of the equipment identies the machine as a Fitzpatrick Model D comminuting Mill/Pulverizer. The company was originally formed to make friable pills, which were specifically designed to be easily digested. In 1995, Upjohn merged with Pharmacia AB to form Pharmacia & Upjohn, and was later owned by Pfizer.
Employee in the Mixing ...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employee in the Mixing Room, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Leo Lemmer standing by mixing equipment in the Mixing Room at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. The Upjohn Company was a pharmaceutical manufacturing firm founded in 1886 by Dr. William E. Upjohn. The company was originally formed to make friable pills, which were specifically designed to be easily digested. In 1995, Upjohn merged with Pharmacia AB to form Pharmacia & Upjohn, and was later owned by Pfizer.
Employees in the Mixing...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employees in the Mixing Room, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Laboratory technicians behind a lab table with weighing impliments in the Mixing Center at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Employees with their date of service include, left to right, Owen Ravine (1928), Bernard Dykehouse (1921), Cecil Bowler (1919), Leo Lemmer (1941), Gerald Crowner (1935), Henry Kinkema (1941), Andrew Bos (1942), and Gilbert H. Simmonds (1930). Employees represented 95 years of service. Employees wear white shirts and pants with bakers caps. The Upjohn Company was a pharmaceutical manufacturing firm founded in 1886 by Dr. William E. Upjohn. The company was originally formed to make friable pills, which were specifically designed to be easily digested. In 1995, Upjohn merged with Pharmacia AB to form Pharmacia & Upjohn, and was later owned by Pfizer.
Employees at desks in O...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employees at desks in Office #21, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Six employees seated at office desks in Building 21 at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Employees identfied as Doris Donnelly, Leighton Saltzman, Dorothy Swartz, Frances Wiessner, Stanley Goodrich, and Grace Sportel. The women employee in the foreground labels and fills medication bottles. In the background, two of the employees are on the telephone.
Office employes posing ...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Office employes posing in Office #21, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Male and female office employees posing with Upjohn publications behind a desk in Building 21 at Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. From left to right, employees with year of service are: J. F. Staley (1904), Stanley Goodrich (1935), Neill Currie (1931), Elmer Shumar (1927), Grace Sportel (1940), Doris Donnelly (1938), Frances Wiessner (1942), and Mary Eleanor Stoddard (1943). Photo notes that Leighton Saltzman (1935) and Marie Beattie (1922) are not in the photo. The years of service of the employees represented 124 years of service. A Marchant Calculator sits on the desk.
Employees standing in t...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employees standing in the Compressing Center, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Male and female employees posing by machinery in the Compression Center at Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. From left to right, employees with year of service are: George Oxley (1916), Marian Wiessner (1943), William Koning (1942), Ann Brower (1942), Douglas Noble (1936), Phyllis Overmeyer (1944), Guy Becker (1927), Doris Commissaris (1943), and Eileen Kellogg (1943). Photo notes that they represent 61 years of service. Employees wear aprons and collard shirts.
Employee standing with ...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employee standing with machinery in the Compressing Room, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Albert Vanden Broek operating machinery in the Compressing Room at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. There are three pharmaceutical compression machines marked 13, 29, and 26.
Employees standing with...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employees standing with machinery in the Compression Room, the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Male and female employees posed by machinery in the Compression Room at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo. From left to right, employees with year of service are: Charles Roberts (1928), Donald England (1935), Barbara Friend (1941), Eileen Cosby (1943), Raymond Miller (1934), Wea Vander Veen (1928), Henry Sliss (1937), and Eman Musselman (1908). Photo notes that Henrietta Longjohn (1942) is not in the picture and the employees represent 100 years of service.
Two employees in the Lu...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Two employees in the Lubricating Center, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Glenn Schoolcraft and Donald Witters working in the Lubricating Center at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo. The Upjohn Company was a pharmaceutical manufacturing firm founded in 1886 by Dr. William E. Upjohn. The company was originally formed to make friable pills, which were specifically designed to be easily digested. In 1995, Upjohn merged with Pharmacia AB to form Pharmacia & Upjohn, and was later owned by Pfizer.
Employes sitting in the...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employes sitting in the Process Laboratory, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Maude Hurni, Douglas Tool, and Jerry Pleyte siting at tables in the Process Laboratory at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo. The table is covered with various sized bottles and large glass containers.
Group portrait of emplo...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Group portrait of employees at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Group photo of employees at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Employees include: H. Suter, D. Grube, E. Weybright, B. Dykehouse, G. Schoolcraft, L. Saltzman, W. Koning, S. Goodrich, E. Musselman, F. Brant, Dorgna, F. Chase, E. Kellogg, M. Wiessner, M. Dykstrahouse, H. Longjohn, G. Sportel, E. Cosby, C. Buytendorp, G. Harris, A. Vanden Broek, B. Shaver, M. Hurni, E. Kuney, B. Busick, T. Vander Slik, C. Roberts, H. Woltersom, and B. Kannegieter. Two men are seated.
Employee in the Compres...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employee in the Compression Room, Upjohn Company, Compressing Room
Date 1945-01
Description Albert Vanden Broek working with machinery in the Compressing Room at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Employees posing by mac...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employees posing by machinery in the Compression Center, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Male and female employees posing by machinery in the Compressing Center at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. From left to right, employees with their year of service include: Homer Suter (1929), Florence Chase (1944), Hester Woltersom (1938), Leland Telfer (1933), Gertrude Harris (1939), Albert Vanden Broek (1942), William Kannegieter (1942), Barbara Shaver (1941), and Albert Busick (1930). Representing 59 years of service.
Employee operating mach...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employee operating machinery in the Mixing Room, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Cecil Bowler operating equipment in the Mixing Room at Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Employees operating mac...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employees operating machinery in the Granulating Center, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Everett Weybright and Fred Brant operating machinery in the Granulating Center at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Employee loading ingred...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employee loading ingredients in the Mixing Room, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Leo A. Lemmer placing box of Nitrate of Potash on industrial scale in the Mixing Room at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Toledo Scale visible.
Employee operating mach...
1945
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employee operating machinery at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945
Description Two unidentfied employees in one of the processing areas at Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo. One employee in the foreground is monitoring the process. Another employee is visible in the background.
Unidentified room at th...
1945
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Unidentified room at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945
Description Unidentified room with pressurizing equipment, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Three open containers w...
1945
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Three open containers with unidentified materials, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945
Description Unidentified materials, possibly pharmaceutical products, in three open containers at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Employee of the Granula...
1945-01
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Employee of the Granulation Center, Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date 1945-01
Description Male employee adding ingredients to granulation equipment in the Granulation Center at the Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Employee identified as Henry Triezenberg. The Upjohn Company was a pharmaceutical manufacturing firm founded in 1886 by Dr. William E. Upjohn. The company was originally formed to make friable pills, which were specifically designed to be easily digested. In 1995, Upjohn merged with Pharmacia AB to form Pharmacia & Upjohn, and was later owned by Pfizer.
Rembert Wall and his Gr...
ca. 1947
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Rembert Wall and his Green Valley Boys in sound studio
Date ca. 1947
Description Front of a black and white postcard of Rembert Wall (1918-1994) playing the guitar with five other members. Rem Wall is pictured just to the right of microphone. Band wearing western shirts and playing various instruments before a WGFG microphone. On the back of the postcard is the name of the band, the station WGFG (later WKZO) and the times on the radio. Pictured: Rem Wall and Jim Bradford. Others are unidentified.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at the southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking northwest shows almost all of the building gone except for a few sections of exterior walls. East side entrance stairs war gone. Salavaged materials surround building. Park Builidng most prominent in background.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking northwest shows majority of exterior walls down, only first floor remaining. Salvaged materials on ground. Park Building on horizon. People and cars walk along South Burdick.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph, looking west, shows only the first floor remaining. Most of the walls are gone but view shows the layout of the various rooms.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph is looking southwest showing portion of building without roof and without glass in the windows. Also shows a portion of the Michigan Bell Telephone Building next door.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking west showing roof of tower and building both removed. Also glass from windows also removed.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking southeast towards rear of the building. People walking down West South Street. Glass removed from windows of Richardsonian Romanesque structure. Roof of front tower has also been removed. Two men are standing on the roof.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph, looking northwest, shows south side of the Richardsonian Romanesque structure along South Burdick Street. It is the original 1892 building seen along with 1904 addition to west. Glass removed from several of the windows including the corner tower. Also shows street lamps.
Post Office Building, K...
1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street during demolited. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking southwest shows Richardsonian Romanesque structure with corner tower surrounded by light fixtures, utility poles and traffic lights.
Genevieve Upjohn Gilmor...
ca. 1949
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Genevieve Upjohn Gilmore posing at desk
Date ca. 1949
Description Genevieve Upjohn Gilmore (1894-1990). Portrait photograph of Genevieve sitting at desk with left hand holding face. Letter on desk along with plant and other items. Bookcases are in the background. Genevieve is wearing either a blouse or dress with a string of pearls.
Clara Bush, faculty, po...
1945
Bush, Clara Noreen, 192...
exwa_wmup_u-00106
 
Title Clara Bush, faculty, portrait
Date 1945
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Studio portrait of Clara Bush, 1944 graduate of Western Michigan College of Education. Photograph is from 1945 when she was appointed faculty in the Speech Department at Western Michigan College of Education.
Irving Clark and Emelia...
1940
[Clark, Emelia A. Golds...
exwa_wmup_u-00111
 
Title Irving Clark and Emelia A. Goldworthy Clark at their home in Los Angeles, California
Date 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Snapshot of Irving Clark and Emelia Goldsworthy Clark with a car in the background. The following written on the back of the photo, "Under the blooming lantana vine. We stand and enjoy the California sunshine. Our Patio is filled with plants and flowers. And just now calls for winter showers. We can sit in our swing and look upon the Desert or the Ocean Scenes painted on our garage doors. With an artists notion honeysuckles & roses cover our back fence and often gives out a very sweet incense. Your friends with all our health, Irving & Emlia G. Clark 1114 W. 42 St., Los Angeles.” Prior to her 1920 marriage, Emelia Goldsworthy was head of the Art Department at Western State Normal School.
Ann Barbara Carlin, fac...
ca. 1947
Carlin, Anna Barbara, 1...
exwa_wmup_u-00116
 
Title Ann Barbara Carlin, faculty, portrait
Date ca. 1947
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Studio photograph of Anna Barbara Carlin, visiting professor and supervisor of the Paw Paw Training School affiliated with Western Michigan College of Education, 1947-1950.
Anna Evans, faculty, po...
ca. 1945
Evans, Anna L., 1880-19...
exwa_wmup_u-00117
 
Title Anna Evans, faculty, portrait
Date ca. 1945
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of Anna Evans, faculty member in the Rural Life and Education Department from 1922 to 1946. This photo appears in the 1945 Brown and Gold Yearbook and the Summer 1962 Western Michigan College of Education News Magazine.
John Amey, faculty, por...
ca. 1948
Amey, John David, Jr., ...
exwa_wmup_u-00127
 
Title John Amey, faculty, portrait
Date ca. 1948
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Studio portrait of John Amey. Amey was a graduate of Western Michigan College of Education and taught economics and business education at Western between 1948 and 1952.
Gifford Blyton, faculty...
ca. 1942
Blyton, Gifford Seymour...
exwa_wmup_u-00129
 
Title Gifford Blyton, faculty, portrait
Date ca. 1942
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Studio portrait of Gifford S. Blyton who taught in the Department of Speech at Western Michigan College of Education from 1942-1948.
Smith R. Burnham and Er...
1947
[Burnham, Ernest, 1869-...
exwa_wmup_u-00132
 
Title Smith R. Burnham and Ernest L. Burnham, faculty
Date 1947
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Snapshot of Dr. Ernest Burnham and Dr. Smith Burnham taken November 1947. They are standing in front of a car and North Hall is in the background. Ernest Burnham taught rural education at Western Michigan College of Education and Smith Burnham was a professor and chair of the history department at Western Michigan College of Education.
Cornelia Matthews, facu...
1949
Matthews, Cornelia Dewe...
exwa_wmup_u-00134
 
Title Cornelia Matthews, faculty, portrait
Date 1949
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Studio portrait of Cornelia Matthews, instructor in the English Department at Western Michigan College of Education from 1946-1949. Photo appeared in the Western Michigan College News Magazine, Winter 1950 in an article announcing her death.
Dorothy Vestal, faculty...
1940
Vestal, Dorothy, 1894-1...
exwa_wmup_u-00138
 
Title Dorothy Vestal, faculty, portrait
Date 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of Dorothy Vestal, faculty member in the women’s physical education department from 1927 to 1948. This photo appears in the 1940 Western State Teachers College yearbook.
Violit Beirge, faculty,...
1943
Gasslander, Violet Walt...
exwa_wmup_u-00139
 
Title Violit Beirge, faculty, portrait
Date 1943
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Studio photograph of Violet Beirge, professor of education at Western Michigan College of Education from 1946 to 1951. Photograph taken by Chidnoff Studio, reprinted by Artcraft Engraving Company of Kalamazoo, Mich.
Carrie Stoeri, faculty,...
1948
Stoeri, Carrie E., 1906...
exwa_wmup_u-00141
 
Title Carrie Stoeri, faculty, portrait
Date 1948
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Studio portrait of Carrie E. Stoeri. Stoeri, who served as secretary to the Registrar from 1932-1937 and secretary to the Dean of Women from 1937-1946 at Western Michigan College of Education. Photo appears in Cincinnati Enquirer, October 17, 1948 at the time she is appointed head of the Central Registration and Clerical Personnel of the Cincinnati YWCA.
Carrie Stoeri, faculty,...
1945
Stoeri, Carrie E., 1906...
exwa_wmup_u-00142
 
Title Carrie Stoeri, faculty, portrait
Date 1945
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of Carrie E. Stoeri. Stoeri, who served as secretary to the Registrar from 1932-1937 and secretary to the Dean of Women from 1937-1946 at Western Michigan College of Education. Photo appears in 1945 Brown & Gold Western Michigan College of Education yearbook.
Margaret Jane Brennan, ...
ca. 1947
Brennan, Margaret Jane,...
exwa_wmup_u-00145
 
Title Margaret Jane Brennan, faculty, portrait
Date ca. 1947
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of Margaret Jane Brennan, teacher at the Paw Paw Training School. Brennan was a 1937 graduate of Western State Teachers College. She was also a professor of Home Economics at Western Michigan University from 1965 to 1979.
Harry P. Greenwall, fac...
ca. 1949
Greenwall, Harry P., 18...
exwa_wmup_u-00184
 
Title Harry P. Greenwall, faculty, portrait
Date ca. 1949
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of Harry P. Greenwall who taught at Western Michigan University from 1916 to 1951 in the areas of penmanship, German and Spanish.
West Hall and Power Bui...
ca. 1945
exwa_wmup_u-10037
 
Title West Hall and Power Building at Michigan College of Education
Date ca. 1945
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Natural Science Building with the power plan in the foreground. View is from Oakland Drive looking east. The Science Building, possibly designed by Louis Kamper, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at West Hall. For over 30 years, West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
West Hall with greenhou...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10150
 
Title West Hall with greenhouse at Western State Teachers College, facing south
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description South facade of West Hall, originally known as the Natural Science Building and Science Hall. The greenhouse was added to the building in 1940. The Science Building, designed by E. W. Arnold, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at Western State Normal School in 1915. West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences for over 30 years. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
West Hall, northeast fa...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10160
 
Title West Hall, northeast facade, on the East Campus of Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Northeast facade of West Hall, formerly known as the Natural Science Building and Science Hall. The Science Building, designed by E. W. Arnold, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at Western State Normal School in 1915. West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences for over 30 years. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
1-50 of 391
1 2 3