REFINE 

Browse All : Western Michigan University--Buildings from 1940 - 1949

1-38 of 38
Administration Building...
exwa_wmup_u-10106
 
Title Administration Building and Gym porticoes, Western State Teachers College
Time Period [1930 - 1939, 1940 - 1949]
Description Porticoes of the Administration Building and Gym addition (East Hall), Western State Teachers College. The Administration Building was completed in 1905. The Gymnasium addition was completed in 1908.
Administration Building...
ca. 1942
exwa_wmup_u-10001
 
Title Administration Building stairs, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1942
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph featuring the stairs and columns of the Administration building on East Campus of Western Michigan University. The photograph, attributed to Charles R. Starring, appeared in the 1942 Brown & Gold yearbook.
Administration Building...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10100
 
Title Administration Building, exterior from west, Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the Administration Building from the west. View features the cupola, second level stairs, and parking area. The Administration Building was completed in 1905.
Aerial view of Western ...
1941
exwa_wmup_u-10102
 
Title Aerial view of Western State Teachers College from west
Date 1941
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Gazette photo of an aerial view of Western State Teachers College. Buildings include Administration Building (1905), Gym (1908) and Training School additions (1909), Science Building (1915), Library (1924), Health and Personnel Building (1939), Men’s Gym (1925), Electronics Shop (1915), and the Manual Arts Building (1921). The photograph appeared in the 1947 Brown & Gold yearbook.
Arrangement Plannning G...
1948
[Saye, Hazel Cleveland,...
exwa_wmup_u-000370
 
Title Arrangement Plannning Group for the Faculty Women’s Tea, Western Michigan College of Education
Date 1948
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Group of female faculty members in charge of arrangements for Faculty Women's Tea seated in the Faculty Club House (later remodeled as the Arcadia Brook Club House). Members, from left to right: Hazel Cleveland, Dr. Lillian Meyer, Gayle Pond, Mary Doty, and Alice Louise LeFevre. Photo appears in the the Spring 1948 Western Michigan College News Magazine.
Campus drive and Health...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10040
 
Title Campus drive and Health and Personnel Building, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of students on the sidewalk along campus line drive. A student stands on the sidewalk in front of Health and Personnel Building. Cars are parked along the drive. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939. It was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center.
Campus drive entrance, ...
ca. 1940?
exwa_wmup_u-10042
 
Title Campus drive entrance, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940?
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the entrance to campus drive off of Oakland Drive, East Campus, Western Michigan University. In the background is the South sides of the Health and Personnel Building and, behind trees, the Training School. Students walk on the side walk and cars are parked along the drive.
Class of 1945 graduates...
1945
exwa_wmup_u-000367
 
Title Class of 1945 graduates lined up outside East Hall, Western Michigan University
Date 1945
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Graduating students in academic regalia standing on the promenade on the east side of East Hall following 1945 commencement at Western Michigan College of Education. In the background are East Hall porticoes.
Crowd watching military...
ca. 1943
exwa_wmup_u-10025
 
Title Crowd watching military exercises on the Athletic field, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1943
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of a crowd watching military exercises on Western's Athletic field on the East Campus of Michigan College of Education. View looking NE toward campus. In the background is the Heating Plant, built in 1915, with its smoke stack. The Athletic Field was constructed on west side of Michigan Central Railroad tracks and opened for baseball games in the Spring of 1914. It was later used as training field during World War 2 for the the V-12 program.
Deans of Women Bertha D...
ca. 1947
[Davis, Bertha Shean, 1...
exwa_wmup_u-000368
 
Title Deans of Women Bertha Davis and Elizabeth Lichty with two students in the Bertha Davis Room, Western Michigan College of Education
Date ca. 1947
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Bertha Davis in the Bertha Davis Room, Walwood Hall, with Elizabeth Lichty and two students. Davis served as Dean of Women Students from 1917-1947. Lichty served as Dean of Women Students from 1948-1965. In the background, the fireplace and leather relief by Richard Riegel feature names of the Women's League presidents.
East and south sides of...
exwa_wmup_u-10161
 
Title East and south sides of Natural Science Building in winter, Western State Teachers College
Time Period [1930 - 1939, 1940 - 1949]
Description East facade and south side of Natural Science Building (West Hall) through the trees in winter. View includes sidewalk and message board.
East Campus circle driv...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10035
 
Title East Campus circle drive, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph East Campus circle drive in between the Administration Building, Library and Science Building. View from the North featuring the front of the library in the background. Cars are parked in the drive.
Garage, exterior, with ...
ca. 1940?
exwa_wmup_u-10069
 
Title Garage, exterior, with cars & buses parked in front, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940?
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the cars and buses parked in front of the Garage on East Campus of Western State Teachers College. Located behind the Science Building, the Electronic Building was known by several names including the Garage, Power Plant, Physical Plant Annex, Upholstery Shop, and Industrial Design Shop.
Gymnasium portico, West...
ca. 1946
exwa_wmup_u-10104
 
Title Gymnasium portico, Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1946
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph featuring portico of the Gymnasium attachment from the top of the Administration Building.
Health and Personnel Bu...
ca. 1940?
exwa_wmup_u-10021
 
Title Health and Personnel Building and West Hall, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940?
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Front of the Health and Personnel building and West Hall on East Campus of Western State Teachers College. Photograph view of the main entrance, looking northwest over snow covered yard. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939. It was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center. It was the first building on the historic East Campus to be razed in 2013. Originally named the Science Building, West Hall was built in 1915.
Industrial Education An...
1947
exwa_wmup_u-10062
 
Title Industrial Education Annex, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date 1947
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the Industrial Education “Annex” on East Campus, Western Michigan College of Education. The temporary Annex was converted for program use, located next to the Industrial Education Building. The Annex was built in 1918 as the Barracks for housing for Student Army Training Corps. The building was razed in 1948.
John Hoekje and Howard ...
1944-07
[Hoekje, John C., 1885-...
exwa_wmup_u-000330
 
Title John Hoekje and Howard Bigelow performing Radio Skit for the re-dedication of the Barracks to Temporary Buildings
Date 1944-07
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description John C. Hoekje and Howard Bigelow acting as Master of Ceremonies at the formal re-naming and rededication of the barracks to temporary buildings during a mock ceremony and skit on July 1944. The Barracks Building was built in 1918 to house the local Student Army Training Corps. Preparing for duty in World War I, the young men trained and marched on the adjacent athletic fields. When the building was no longer needed for the corps, the Normal School reused it for Home Economics and Manual Arts Classes. It remained a "temporary" classroom building until it was razed in 1948. John C. Hoekje was a professor of education and psychology who also served as registrar, dean of admissions and director of extension during his 1916-to-1955 tenure at the University. Dr. Howard F. Bigelow was an economics professor at WMU from 1924 to 1961.
Leslie and Aletha Kenoy...
1942-07-29
[Kenoyer, Leslie Alva, ...
exwa_wmup_u-000378
 
Title Leslie and Aletha Kenoyer in greenhouse, Western State Teachers College
Date 1942-07-29
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Leslie and Aletha Kenoyer in greenhouse adjacent to Science Hall (West Hall) at Western State Teachers College. Leslie Kenoyer taught in the biology department and also served as chair from 1923-1953. The Science Building, also know as West Hall and Natural Science Building, was the second building to open at the Western State Normal School in 1915.
Main entrance of East c...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10055
 
Title Main entrance of East campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the main entrance to East Campus on Prospect Hill in winter, Western State Teachers College. The view features the Training School addition to the Administration Building and the south side of the Health and Personnel Building. The Training School was one of two wings added to the Administration Building in 1909. It was used as the University School and High School until 1969. Together with the Administration Building and Women’s Gym, the Training School was renamed East Hall in 1952. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939 and was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center.
Manual Arts Building, f...
exwa_wmup_u-10166
 
Title Manual Arts Building, front and right corner, Western Michican University
Time Period [1940 - 1949, 1950 - 1959]
Description Entrance of the Manual Arts Building. In the foreground is a gravel parking lot.
Manual Arts Building, f...
exwa_wmup_u-10168
 
Title Manual Arts Building, front, Western Michigan University
Time Period [1940 - 1949, 1950 - 1959]
Description Entrance of Manual Arts Building. In the foreground is a gravel drive.
McCracken Hall, front e...
1949
exwa_wmup_u-10516
 
Title McCracken Hall, front entrace, Western State Teachers College
Date 1949
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Front entrance of William McCracken Hall at the time of construction in 1949. It was used as a chemistry facility. The first building on West Campus, McCracken Hall was named after well-known faculty member, William McCracken, head of the chemstry department from 1907-1939. A Paper Industries Laboratory was added to McCracken Hall in 1959 to support the nation's second Paper Technology program. One wing was torn down in 2017. The building was demolished in 2019.
McCracken Hall, side en...
1949
exwa_wmup_u-10518
 
Title McCracken Hall, side entrance, Western State Teachers College
Date 1949
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Exterior of William McCracken Hall at the time of construction in 1949. It was used as a chemistry facility. The first building on West Campus, McCracken Hall was named after well-known faculty member, William McCracken, head of the chemstry department from 1907-1939. A Paper Industries Laboratory was added to McCracken Hall in 1959 to support the nation's second Paper Technology program. One wing was torn down in 2017. The building was demolished in 2019.
Mechanical Trades Build...
ca. 1945
exwa_wmup_u-10468
 
Title Mechanical Trades Building, facade, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1945
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Exterior of the Mechanical Trades Building which was constructed in 1940 for the purposes of vocational training. Cars are parked in the front of the building. Ornamentation in the façade featured airplane propellers and one of the early classes taught out of this building was aviation mechanics. North Hall and West Hall are visible in the background.
Natural Science Buildin...
exwa_wmup_u-10159
 
Title Natural Science Building, side view with greenhouse, Western State Teachers College
Time Period [1930 - 1939, 1940 - 1949]
Description Photograph of the south side of Natural Science Building and greenhouse on East Campus of Western State Teachers College. View of Natural Science Building, particially obscurred by trees, and sidewalk to Oakland Drive.
Porticoes of Administra...
exwa_wmup_u-10107
 
Title Porticoes of Administration Building and Gym addition, Western State Teachers College
Time Period [1930 - 1939, 1940 - 1949]
Description Porticoes of the Administration Building and Gym addition (East Hall). View looking north. The Administration Building was completed in 1905. The Gymnasium addition was completed in 1908.
Sidewalk to Oakland Dri...
ca. 1940?
exwa_wmup_u-10053
 
Title Sidewalk to Oakland Drive, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940?
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of two students walked down a sidewalk to Oakland Drive on the west side of East Campus, Michigan College of Education. In the background is Vandercook Hall. View looks southwest. Built in 1939, the Men’s Dormitory was later renamed Vandercook Hall after the 'Father of Western', State Representative Henry B. Vandercook of Grand Rapids.
Snow covered drive, Eas...
ca. 1940?
exwa_wmup_u-10044
 
Title Snow covered drive, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940?
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of students walking along the snow covered campus drive on East Campus, Western Michigan University. In the background are the South side of the Health and Personnel Building, and the back of the Training School and the Administration Building. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939. It was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center.
Spindler Hall from Vand...
ca. 1941?
exwa_wmup_u-10022
 
Title Spindler Hall from VanderCook Hall, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1941?
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph, looking north, showing the back of Spindler Hall from the back lawn of VanderCook Hall on the East campus of Western Michigan College of Education. Lavina Spindler Hall for Women, which faced Oliver St., was completed in 1940.
Spindler Hall, exterior...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10450
 
Title Spindler Hall, exterior, East Campus at Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Exterior of Spindler Hall looking northwest. Built in 1940, Spindler Hall was origially a women's dormatory and later became an independent housing facility for doctoral, graduate, senior and non-traditional students. Spindler Hall was named after Lavina Spindler, who served at Western from 1907-1938 as director of the Campus School, Dean of Women, and Freshman Advisor. The building featured reliefs of female students and a female figure in a mentoring relationship.
Training School in wint...
exwa_wmup_u-10105
 
Title Training School in winter, Western Michigan University
Time Period [1930 - 1939, 1940 - 1949]
Description Photograph of the Training School in winter. View looking up hill. A man stands on top of high looking down.
Training School, Wester...
ca. 1944
exwa_wmup_u-10116
 
Title Training School, Western Michigan College of Education
Date ca. 1944
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the Training School from north, Western Michigan College of Education. The Training School was one of two additions to the original Administration Building on Normal Hill (earlier Prospect Hill), completed in 1909.
Two students on sidewal...
ca. 1940?
exwa_wmup_u-10038
 
Title Two students on sidewalk in front of VanderCook Hall, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940?
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph showing the two students walking down a sidewalk to the East campus tree line drive. In the background is Vandercook Hall. Built in 1939, the Men’s Dormitory was later renamed Vandercook Hall after the 'Father of Western', State Representative Henry B. Vandercook of Grand Rapids.
V-12 candidates on the ...
ca. 1943
exwa_wmup_u-00012a
 
Title V-12 candidates on the steps of the Western Michigan College of Education Administration Building
Date ca. 1943
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Promotional photograph used for brochure "On Board the Western Michigan" highlighting the V-12 program at Western Michigan College of Education to train officers for the Navy and Marines during World War II.
West Hall and Power Bui...
ca. 1945
exwa_wmup_u-10037
 
Title West Hall and Power Building at Michigan College of Education
Date ca. 1945
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Natural Science Building with the power plan in the foreground. View is from Oakland Drive looking east. The Science Building, possibly designed by Louis Kamper, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at West Hall. For over 30 years, West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
West Hall with greenhou...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10150
 
Title West Hall with greenhouse at Western State Teachers College, facing south
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description South facade of West Hall, originally known as the Natural Science Building and Science Hall. The greenhouse was added to the building in 1940. The Science Building, designed by E. W. Arnold, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at Western State Normal School in 1915. West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences for over 30 years. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
West Hall, northeast fa...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10160
 
Title West Hall, northeast facade, on the East Campus of Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Northeast facade of West Hall, formerly known as the Natural Science Building and Science Hall. The Science Building, designed by E. W. Arnold, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at Western State Normal School in 1915. West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences for over 30 years. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
Women standing in parki...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10017
 
Title Women standing in parking lot, East Campus, Western Michigan College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Woman standing under a sign in the parking lot behind the Administration Building, Western Michigan College, Kalamazoo, Michigan. In the background is the front of the Library building, constructed in 1924.
1-38 of 38