REFINE

 

WHAT

  1. 1933 Oakland Drive (Kalam … (1)
  2. Aerial photograph (5)
  3. Architecture, Colonial--M … (1)
  4. Automobiles (1)
  5. Barracks--Michigan--Kalam … (2)
  6. Bassett House (Kalmazoo, … (1)
  7. block cornices (2)
  8. building sites (1)
  9. Burdick Hotel (Kalamazoo, … (2)
  10. Buses--Michigan--Kalamazo … (1)
  11. Cadillac automobile (1)
  12. Chemical laboratories (3)
  13. Columns (1)
  14. Construction equipment (2)
  15. Demolition--Michigan--Kal … (7)
  16. Disasters--Michigan--Kala … (2)
  17. Dwellings--Michigan--Kala … (1)
  18. Facades (14)
  19. Farmhouses (1)
  20. Fire fighters--Michigan-- … (1)
  21. Fire engines (1)
  22. Flagpoles (1)
  23. footpaths  (1)
  24. Gardens--Universities (1)
  25. Gentlemen’s Club House (K … (1)
  26. Greenhouses--Michigan--Ka … (2)
  27. Hotels--Michigan--Kalamaz … (2)
  28. Houses--Michigan--Kalamaz … (1)
  29. Italianate (North America … (2)
  30. Ivy (1)
  31. Janitors (1)
  32. Kalamazoo (Mich.)--Buildi … (2)
  33. Kalamazoo College--Buildi … (1)
  34. Kalamazoo Post Office (Ka … (9)
  35. Kalamazoo Public Schools- … (1)
  36. Lampposts; Porticoes (1)
  37. Libraries--Michigan--Kala … (8)
  38. Library buildings--Michig … (3)
  39. McCracken, William, 1864- … (3)
  40. Men--Clothing & dress (1)
  41. Michigan Bell Telephone B … (1)
  42. Michigan College of Educa … (1)
  43. Neighborhoods--Michigan-- … (1)
  44. one-way streets (4)
  45. Park Building (Kalamazoo, … (3)
  46. pediments (1)
  47. porticoes (40)
  48. Porticoes (2)
  49. Porticoes; Campus life (1)
  50. Post offices--Michigan--K … (9)
  51. power plant buildings (ut … (1)
  52. Railroads--Michigan--Kala … (1)
  53. Richardsonian Romanesque (9)
  54. Roads (1)
  55. Ruins (1)
  56. Sidewalks (1)
  57. Sidewalks; Carriage (1)
  58. Sidewalks; one-way street … (1)
  59. Stairs (5)
  60. Star Bargain House (Kalam … (1)
  61. Tennis courts (1)
  62. Trolley cars (1)
  63. Universities and college … (66)
  64. Walkways (1)
  65. Walkways; Porticoes (4)
  66. Western Michigan College … (2)
  67. Western Michigan College … (6)
  68. Western Michigan College- … (3)
  69. Western Michigan Univeris … (2)
  70. Western Michigan Univer … (126)
  71. Western Michigan Universi … (1)
  72. Western Michigan Universi … (4)
  73. Western Michigan Univers … (16)
  74. Western Michigan Universi … (1)
  75. Western Michigan Universi … (1)
  76. Western Michigan Univers … (46)
  77. Western Michigan Universi … (1)
  78. Western Michigan Universi … (1)
  79. Western Michigan Universi … (3)
  80. Western Michigan Universi … (5)
  81. Western Michigan Universi … (1)
  82. Western Michigan Universi … (2)
  83. Western Michigan Universi … (2)
  84. Western Michigan Universi … (3)
  85. Western Michigan Universi … (9)
  86. Western Michigan Universi … (3)
  87. Western Michigan Universi … (2)
  88. Western Michigan Universi … (8)
  89. Western Michigan Univers … (15)
  90. Western Michigan Universi … (4)
  91. Western Michigan Univers … (20)
  92. Western Michigan Universi … (2)
  93. Western State Normal Rail … (1)
  94. Western State Normal Scho … (3)
  95. Western State Normal Sch … (15)
  96. Western State Normal Sch … (14)
  97. Western State Teachers Co … (1)
  98. Western State Teachers C … (10)
  99. Western State Teachers Co … (9)
  100. Western State University. … (8)
  101. Western Michigan Universi … (1)
  102. winter scene (8)
  103. Winter scene (6)
REFINE 

Browse All : Historic buildings--Michigan--Kalamazoo

1-50 of 141
1 2 3  
Ruins of Burdick Hotel ...
1909-12
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Ruins of Burdick Hotel after fire, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date
1909-12
Description
Ruins of Burdick Hotel, West Main Street, Kalamazoo after a fire on December 8, 1909. View shows ruins of building located on the north side of West Main Street (now West Michigan Avenue) to the west of North Burdick Street. Kalamazoo Fire Department Ladder extended to fourth floor. People standing on sidewalk looking in direction of an extended ladder from ladder truck. Star Bargain House next door was also total loss. Initials along the side of the ladder truck read “K. F. D.”
Post Office Building, K...
1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date
1940
Description
Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street during demolited. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking southwest shows Richardsonian Romanesque structure with corner tower surrounded by light fixtures, utility poles and traffic lights.
Burdick Hotel Ruins, Ka...
1909-12-09
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Burdick Hotel Ruins, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date
1909-12-09
Description
Ruins of Burdick Hotel, West Main Street, Kalamazoo after a major fire which occurred on December 8, 1909. View shows ruins of building from the north side of West Main Street (now West Michigan Avenue) looking toward west of North Burdick Street. Also shows ruins of stores to the east. Typed text at the lower edge reads: Burdick House Fire, Thursday, Dec. 9, 1909.
Post Office Building, K...
approximately 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date
approximately 1940
Description
Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at the southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking northwest shows almost all of the building gone except for northeast corner where corner tower located. Steam shovel in middle of site. Salvaged materials surrounding building. Park Building most prominent in background.
Post Office Building, K...
approximately 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date
approximately 1940
Description
Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph, looking northwest, shows south side of the Richardsonian Romanesque structure along South Burdick Street. It is the original 1892 building seen along with 1904 addition to west. Glass removed from several of the windows including the corner tower. Also shows street lamps.
Post Office Building, K...
approximately 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date
approximately 1940
Description
Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking southeast towards rear of the building. People walking down West South Street. Glass removed from windows of Richardsonian Romanesque structure. Roof of front tower has also been removed. Two men are standing on the roof.
Post Office Building, K...
approximately 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date
approximately 1940
Description
Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking west showing roof of tower and building both removed. Also glass from windows also removed.
Post Office Building, K...
approximately 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date
approximately 1940
Description
Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph is looking southwest showing portion of building without roof and without glass in the windows. Also shows a portion of the Michigan Bell Telephone Building next door.
Post Office Building, K...
approximately 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date
approximately 1940
Description
Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph, looking west, shows only the first floor remaining. Most of the walls are gone but view shows the layout of the various rooms.
Post Office Building, K...
approximately 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date
approximately 1940
Description
Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking northwest shows majority of exterior walls down, only first floor remaining. Salvaged materials on ground. Park Building on horizon. People and cars walk along South Burdick.
Post Office Building, K...
approximately 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date
approximately 1940
Description
Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at the southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking northwest shows almost all of the building gone except for a few sections of exterior walls. East side entrance stairs war gone. Salavaged materials surround building. Park Builidng most prominent in background.
Gentlemen’s Club House,...
Craig, J. P.
1890
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Gentlemen’s Club House, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date
1890
Description
Sepia photograph of the Gentlemen’s Club House (earlier known as the Bassett House) at northwest corner of South Burdick and West South Streets. The italianate house was originally built in 1860 for the John Bassett family. View includes sidewalks and trees along with carriage in distance on West South Street. Photo was taken for 1890 Picturesque Kalamazoo book and was included in the book “Kalamazoo Lost and Found” by Lynn S. Houghton.
Kleinstueck House, 1933...
approximately 1900
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title
Kleinstueck House, 1933 Oakland Drive, Kalamazoo
Date
approximately 1900
Description
Photograph of Kleinstueck House on 1925 Oakland Drive, Kalamazoo, Michigan. The house is an Italianate farmhouse with large second floor front porch. Stone wall in front surrounded by bare trees. View includes other buildings on the north side and two people in front of the stone wall, possibly family members.
West Hall and Power Bui...
ca. 1945
exwa_wmup_u-10037
 
Title
West Hall and Power Building at Michigan College of Education
Date
ca. 1945
Time Period
1940 - 1949
Description
Natural Science Building with the power plan in the foreground. View is from Oakland Drive looking east. The Science Building, possibly designed by Louis Kamper, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at West Hall. For over 30 years, West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
Western State Normal Sc...
ca. 1905
exwa_wmup_u-10121
 
Title
Western State Normal School on Normal Hill, exterior
Date
ca. 1905
Time Period
1900 - 1909
Description
Exterior of the Western State Normal School with steps leading to Davis Street. View is looking west. Construction of the school’s first building began in 1904 on Prospect Hill. It housed administrative offices, classrooms, laboratories, and a library. The two-story structure clad in brick featured a portico with six Greek pillars, an arch window over the main entry, and a cupola designed by architect Ernest W. Arnold. The building held its first class of students in September 1905 and remained in use as a teaching facility until 1990.
West Hall with greenhou...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10150
 
Title
West Hall with greenhouse at Western State Teachers College, facing south
Date
ca. 1940
Time Period
1940 - 1949
Description
South facade of West Hall, originally known as the Natural Science Building and Science Hall. The greenhouse was added to the building in 1940. The Science Building, designed by E. W. Arnold, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at Western State Normal School in 1915. West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences for over 30 years. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
West Hall, northeast fa...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10160
 
Title
West Hall, northeast facade, on the East Campus of Western State Teachers College
Date
ca. 1940
Time Period
1940 - 1949
Description
Northeast facade of West Hall, formerly known as the Natural Science Building and Science Hall. The Science Building, designed by E. W. Arnold, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at Western State Normal School in 1915. West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences for over 30 years. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
McCracken Hall, front e...
1949
exwa_wmup_u-10516
 
Title
McCracken Hall, front entrace, Western State Teachers College
Date
1949
Time Period
1940 - 1949
Description
Front entrance of William McCracken Hall at the time of construction in 1949. It was used as a chemistry facility. The first building on West Campus, McCracken Hall was named after well-known faculty member, William McCracken, head of the chemstry department from 1907-1939. A Paper Industries Laboratory was added to McCracken Hall in 1959 to support the nation's second Paper Technology program. One wing was torn down in 2017. The building was demolished in 2019.
McCracken Hall, side en...
1949
exwa_wmup_u-10518
 
Title
McCracken Hall, side entrance, Western State Teachers College
Date
1949
Time Period
1940 - 1949
Description
Exterior of William McCracken Hall at the time of construction in 1949. It was used as a chemistry facility. The first building on West Campus, McCracken Hall was named after well-known faculty member, William McCracken, head of the chemstry department from 1907-1939. A Paper Industries Laboratory was added to McCracken Hall in 1959 to support the nation's second Paper Technology program. One wing was torn down in 2017. The building was demolished in 2019.
McCracken Hall with pap...
1970
exwa_wmup_u-10521
 
Title
McCracken Hall with paper pilot plant addition and walkaway at Western Michigan University
Date
1970
Time Period
1970 - 1979
Description
Exterior of McCracken Hall taken September 1970 includes the addition of the paper pilot plant and walkway. Cars are parked in the foreground. It was used as a chemistry facility. The first building on West Campus, McCracken Hall was named after well-known faculty member, William McCracken, head of the chemstry department from 1907-1939. A Paper Industries Laboratory was added to McCracken Hall in 1959 to support the nation's second Paper Technology program. One wing was torn down in 2017. The building was demolished in 2019.
Western Michigan Colleg...
ca. 1955
exwa_wmup_u-10082
 
Title
Western Michigan College, main entrance, exterior
Date
ca. 1955
Time Period
1950 - 1959
Description
Exterior view of Administration Building of Western Michigan College facing Davis Street and featuring portico, columns, and balustrade in Georgian Revival style. Designed by Battle Creek architect, Ernest W. Arnold, the Administration Building was WMU's first building (erected as Western State Normal School) and used until the 1950s.
Mechanical Trades Build...
ca. 1945
exwa_wmup_u-10468
 
Title
Mechanical Trades Building, facade, Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1945
Time Period
1940 - 1949
Description
Exterior of the Mechanical Trades Building which was constructed in 1940 for the purposes of vocational training. Cars are parked in the front of the building. Ornamentation in the façade featured airplane propellers and one of the early classes taught out of this building was aviation mechanics. North Hall and West Hall are visible in the background.
School of Business, fac...
ca. 1964
exwa_wmup_u-10225
 
Title
School of Business, facade, on East Campus of Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1964
Time Period
1960 - 1969
Description
Facade of the Western Michigan University School of Business in North Hall on East Campus. Students surround the front facade of the building with its entrance portico with pediment supported by classical columns. Built in 1924, North Hall was altered several times, undergoing renovation in 1958 and a rolling storage system was installed in the basement in the 1970s. North Hall also housed the campus library and classrooms for the College of Busines' finance and commerical law, marketing, academic advising, college administration and psychology department. In 1990, the College of Business was moved to the Haworth College of Business on West Campus. The building was used for archival storage and as home to the Department of Industrial Design. It was demolished in 2014, and only the front entrance remains on Prospect Hill.
Aerial view of campus o...
1933
exwa_wmup_u-10032
 
Title
Aerial view of campus of Western State Teachers College
Date
1933
Time Period
1930 - 1933
Description
Aerial photograph of Western State Teachers College featuring the administration building, library, science hall, Oakland Gymnasium, and temporary World War I barracks. Kalamazoo College is visible in the background.
Postcard of Western Mic...
1906
exwa_wmup_u-10146
 
Title
Postcard of Western Michigan Normal School
Date
1906
Time Period
1900 - 1909
Description
A postcard depicting the original administration building at Western State Normal School before the north and south wings were added to the building.
Administration Building...
ca. 1964
exwa_wmup_u-10109
 
Title
Administration Building with Gym addition, East Campus of Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1964
Time Period
1960 - 1969
Description
A woman in a long coat walking down the steps of the Administritation Building (East Hall) of Western Michigan College of Education. Middle portion of the building is visible, front columns and portico prominant.
Administration Building...
exwa_wmup_u-10004
 
Title
Administration Building, looking Northwest, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Description
Exterior view of the Training School and Administration Buildings from the bottom of Prospect Hill facing Northwest. Photograph taken by Crescent Studios in Kalamazoo, Michigan. View features the portico, columns, and balustrade in Georgian Revival style.
Aerial view of Western ...
1915
exwa_wmup_u-10006
 
Title
Aerial view of Western State Normal School and Davis Street neighborhood
Date
1915
Time Period
1910 - 1919
Description
Aerial photograph of Western State Normal School on Prospect Hill and the surrounding neighborhood in 1915. View features the original Administration building with the classroom and gymnasium addition, the Training School, the Science Building, and the “Horseshoe” sidewalk. Tennis courts in the mid-ground. Designed by Battle Creek architect, Ernest W. Arnold, the Administration Building was completed and occupied in 1905. By 1909 two wings were added: the Training School and the Gymnasium, both featuring columned porticos and lit cupolas. Together these were later renamed East Hall. The photograph appeared in the Brown & Gold 1922 yearbook.
Stairway to Administrat...
1941
exwa_wmup_u-10007
 
Title
Stairway to Administration Building, East Campus, Western State Normal School
Date
1941
Description
Photograph of snow-covered stairway in front of the original Administration Building at Western State Normal School. View from the bottom of Prospect Hill looking up toward the Administration Building portico. Designed by Battle Creek architect, Ernest W. Arnold, the Administration Building was completed and occupied in 1905. Photograph appeared in the 1941 Brown and Gold yearbook.
Western State Normal Sc...
exwa_wmup_u-10008
 
Title
Western State Normal School from Davis Street, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Description
View of Western State Normal School on Prospect Hill from Davis Street, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Designed by Battle Creek architect, Ernest W. Arnold, the Administration Building was completed and occupied in 1905. Two wings the Training School and the Gymnasium, were added in 1909 and later were renamed East Hall.
Western State Normal Sc...
ca. 1915
exwa_wmup_u-10009
 
Title
Western State Normal School on Normal Hill
Date
ca. 1915
Time Period
1910 - 1919
Description
Front view of the Administration Building and part of the Training School, Western State Normal School. Designed by Battle Creek architect, Ernest W. Arnold, the Administration Building was completed and occupied in 1905. Two wings the Training School and the Gymnasium, were added in 1909 and later were renamed East Hall.
Administration Building...
exwa_wmup_u-10011
 
Title
Administration Building and Training School, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Description
View of the Administration Building and Training School main entrances from the bottom of Prospect Hill facing northwest. View of main entrances features the portico, columns, and balustrade in Georgian Revival style. Designed by Battle Creek architect, Ernest W. Arnold, East Hall was WMU's first building (erected when it was still Western State Normal School) and used until the 1950s. It was also known as the Education Building and by 1967 as East Hall.
Western State Normal Sc...
ca. 1929
exwa_wmup_u-10012
 
Title
Western State Normal School on Normal Hill, Kalamazoo
Date
ca. 1929
Time Period
1920 - 1929
Description
View of Western State Normal School on the top of Prospect Hill in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The view includes the Training School, the Administration Building with attached gymnasium and annex, and the Library building. The photograph appeared in the 1929 Brown and Gold yearbook.
Western State Normal Sc...
ca. 1923
exwa_wmup_u-10014
 
Title
Western State Normal School at night, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1923
Time Period
1920 - 1929
Description
View of Western State Normal School on the top of Prospect Hill in the winter at night. The view features lights from the Training School, Administration Building, and the Library Building. The photograph first appeared in the Brown & Gold 1923 yearbook.
Ivy climbing front of G...
ca. 1925
exwa_wmup_u-10015b
 
Title
Ivy climbing front of Gymnasium attachment, Administration Building, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1925
Time Period
1920 - 1929
Description
Photograph of ivy growing on the front of the Gymasium attachment of the Administration Building at Western State Normal School. The photograph first appeared in the Brown and Gold 1925 yearbook. The two wings to the Administration Building, The Training School and the Gymnasium, were added in 1909.
Snow-covered path behin...
ca. 1925
exwa_wmup_u-10015c
 
Title
Snow-covered path behind Administration Building, Western State Normal School
Date
ca. 1925
Time Period
1920 - 1929
Description
A snow covered path behind the Administration Building at Western State Normal School. The photograph first appeared in the Brown and Gold 1925 and 1941 yearbooks.
Main entrance of the gy...
ca. 1925
exwa_wmup_u-10015d
 
Title
Main entrance of the gymnasium, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1925
Time Period
1920 - 1929
Description
Color photograph of the front portico of the gymnasium attachment on the north side of the Administration Building. The photograph first appeared in the Brown and Gold 1925 yearbook. The Gymnasium, one of two wings to the Administration Building, was added in 1909. Together with the Administration Building, the building was later renamed East Hall and remained in use until 1950s.
Tree-line drive leading...
ca. 1922
exwa_wmup_u-10015e
 
Title
Tree-line drive leading to Western State Normal School, East Campus, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Date
ca. 1922
Time Period
1920 - 1929
Description
The tree-line drive behind the Training School of Western State Normal School. The photograph first appeared in the Brown and Gold 1922 yearbook. The tree-line drive was main entrance to campus from Oakland Drive, Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Flagpole in front of No...
exwa_wmup_u-10016
 
Title
Flagpole in front of North Hall, East campus, Western Michigan University
Description
Photograph looking North toward the flag pole in front of the Library building of Western State Normal School, Kalamzoo, Michigan. The Library (later named North Hall) was built in 1924.
Women standing in parki...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10017
 
Title
Women standing in parking lot, East Campus, Western Michigan College
Date
ca. 1940
Time Period
1940 - 1949
Description
Woman standing under a sign in the parking lot behind the Administration Building, Western Michigan College, Kalamazoo, Michigan. In the background is the front of the Library building, constructed in 1924.
Three people standing i...
exwa_wmup_u-10018
 
Title
Three people standing in front the Science Building, East Campus, Western State Normal School
Description
Photograph of three unknown people standing in a snowy yard on East Campus of Western State Normal School, Kalamazoo, Michigan. View is from the south end of West Hall looking northeast toward East Hall (background).
Health and Personnel Bu...
ca. 1940?
exwa_wmup_u-10021
 
Title
Health and Personnel Building and West Hall, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1940?
Time Period
1940 - 1949
Description
Front of the Health and Personnel building and West Hall on East Campus of Western State Teachers College. Photograph view of the main entrance, looking northwest over snow covered yard. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939. It was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center. It was the first building on the historic East Campus to be razed in 2013. Originally named the Science Building, West Hall was built in 1915.
Collage of East Campus ...
exwa_wmup_u-10028b
 
Title
Collage of East Campus landmarks, Western Michigan University
Description
Three-picture collage of East Campus landmarks including the Michigan Central Railroad tracks, portico columns of the Administration Building, and the 150-step stairway in front of East Hall to the top of Prospect Hill.
East Campus from across...
ca. 1915?
exwa_wmup_u-10029
 
Title
East Campus from across Oakland Drive, Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1915?
Time Period
1910 - 1919
Description
Photograph of East Campus of Western State Normal School from across Oakland Drive. View, looking southeast, features the Administration Building with Gymnasium addition, Science Hall, and the Heating Plant with smokestack. The Administration Building was completed and occupied in 1905. By 1909 two wings were added: the Training School and the Gymnasium. Later, the three buildings were renamed East Hall. The Science Building opened in 1915 and later was renamed West Hall. East Campus renamed in use into the 1950s. It was later known as Historic East Campus.
East Campus from across...
ca. 1925?
exwa_wmup_u-10030
 
Title
East Campus from across Oakland Drive, Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1925?
Time Period
1920 - 1929
Description
Photograph showing the Library and Science Hall, from the north, on the East Campus of Western Michigan University. In the background is the back of the cupola on the Administration Building. In the foreground is the Barracks along Michigan Avenue built in 1918. To the far right of the photo is a part of the Men’s Gymnasium (later Oakland Gym) built in 1925.
Aerial view of East Cam...
1933
exwa_wmup_u-10031
 
Title
Aerial view of East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date
1933
Time Period
1930 - 1939
Description
Aerial photograph of Western State Teachers College on Prospect Hill in 1933. The view features the original Administration Building with the Women’s Gymnasium, the Training School, the Science Building, the Library, the Men’s Gymansium, the Barricks, and the “Horseshoe” sidewalk. Tennis courts in the foreground. Designed by Battle Creek architect, Ernest W. Arnold, the Administration Building was completed and occupied in 1905. By 1909 two wings were added: the Training School and the Gymnasium, both featuring columned porticos and lit cupolas. Later, the Gymnasium was renamed the Women’s Gym after the Men’s Gym (Oakland Gym) was constructed in 1925. The campus remained in use into the 1950s. Later, East Campus was known as Historic East Campus.
Aerial rendition of Wes...
exwa_wmup_u-10033
 
Title
Aerial rendition of Western State Teachers College, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Description
Detroit artist Howard Soper’s panoramic rendition of Western State Teachers College.
East Hall and West Hall...
ca. 1933
exwa_wmup_u-10034
 
Title
East Hall and West Hall, East campus, Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1933
Time Period
1930 - 1939
Description
Photograph of the back of the Science Building, the Administration Building, Training School (from left to right) and the drive to the top of Prospect Hill on the East Campus of Western State Teachers College, Kalamazoo, Michigan. View from the Northeast. Designed by Battle Creek architect, Ernest W. Arnold, the Administration Building was completed and occupied in 1905. By 1909 two wings were added: the Training School and the Gymnasium. Together they were later known as East Hall. The Science Building opened in 1915 and later was renamed West Hall. The campus remained in use into the 1950s when classes transitioned to the West Campus (later Main Campus). Later, East Campus was known as Historic East Campus.
East Campus circle driv...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10035
 
Title
East Campus circle drive, Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1940
Time Period
1940 - 1949
Description
Photograph East Campus circle drive in between the Administration Building, Library and Science Building. View from the North featuring the front of the library in the background. Cars are parked in the drive.
Administration Building...
ca. 1933
exwa_wmup_u-10039
 
Title
Administration Building and Science Hall on Prospect Hill, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date
ca. 1933
Time Period
1930 - 1939
Description
Photograph featuring East Campus on Prospect Hill. View features the original Administration Building with the Women’s Gymnasium, the Training School, and the Science Building. Designed by Battle Creek architect, Ernest W. Arnold, the Administration Building was completed and occupied in 1905. By 1909 two wings were added: the Training School and the Gymnasium. The campus remained in use into the 1950s when classes transitioned to the West Campus (later Main Campus). The Science Building opened in 1915 and later was renamed West Hall. Later, East Campus was known as Historic East Campus.
1-50 of 141
1 2 3