REFINE 

Browse All : Historic buildings--Michigan--Kalamazoo from 1940 - 1949

1-33 of 33
Administration Building...
exwa_wmup_u-10106
 
Title Administration Building and Gym porticoes, Western State Teachers College
Time Period [1930 - 1939, 1940 - 1949]
Description Porticoes of the Administration Building and Gym addition (East Hall), Western State Teachers College. The Administration Building was completed in 1905. The Gymnasium addition was completed in 1908.
Administration Building...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10100
 
Title Administration Building, exterior from west, Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the Administration Building from the west. View features the cupola, second level stairs, and parking area. The Administration Building was completed in 1905.
Aerial view of Western ...
1941
exwa_wmup_u-10102
 
Title Aerial view of Western State Teachers College from west
Date 1941
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Gazette photo of an aerial view of Western State Teachers College. Buildings include Administration Building (1905), Gym (1908) and Training School additions (1909), Science Building (1915), Library (1924), Health and Personnel Building (1939), Men’s Gym (1925), Electronics Shop (1915), and the Manual Arts Building (1921). The photograph appeared in the 1947 Brown & Gold yearbook.
Campus drive and Health...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10040
 
Title Campus drive and Health and Personnel Building, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of students on the sidewalk along campus line drive. A student stands on the sidewalk in front of Health and Personnel Building. Cars are parked along the drive. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939. It was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center.
East and south sides of...
exwa_wmup_u-10161
 
Title East and south sides of Natural Science Building in winter, Western State Teachers College
Time Period [1930 - 1939, 1940 - 1949]
Description East facade and south side of Natural Science Building (West Hall) through the trees in winter. View includes sidewalk and message board.
East Campus circle driv...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10035
 
Title East Campus circle drive, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph East Campus circle drive in between the Administration Building, Library and Science Building. View from the North featuring the front of the library in the background. Cars are parked in the drive.
Garage, exterior, with ...
ca. 1940?
exwa_wmup_u-10069
 
Title Garage, exterior, with cars & buses parked in front, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940?
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the cars and buses parked in front of the Garage on East Campus of Western State Teachers College. Located behind the Science Building, the Electronic Building was known by several names including the Garage, Power Plant, Physical Plant Annex, Upholstery Shop, and Industrial Design Shop.
Gymnasium portico, West...
ca. 1946
exwa_wmup_u-10104
 
Title Gymnasium portico, Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1946
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph featuring portico of the Gymnasium attachment from the top of the Administration Building.
Health and Personnel Bu...
ca. 1940?
exwa_wmup_u-10021
 
Title Health and Personnel Building and West Hall, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940?
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Front of the Health and Personnel building and West Hall on East Campus of Western State Teachers College. Photograph view of the main entrance, looking northwest over snow covered yard. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939. It was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center. It was the first building on the historic East Campus to be razed in 2013. Originally named the Science Building, West Hall was built in 1915.
Industrial Education An...
1947
exwa_wmup_u-10062
 
Title Industrial Education Annex, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date 1947
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the Industrial Education “Annex” on East Campus, Western Michigan College of Education. The temporary Annex was converted for program use, located next to the Industrial Education Building. The Annex was built in 1918 as the Barracks for housing for Student Army Training Corps. The building was razed in 1948.
Main entrance of East c...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10055
 
Title Main entrance of East campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the main entrance to East Campus on Prospect Hill in winter, Western State Teachers College. The view features the Training School addition to the Administration Building and the south side of the Health and Personnel Building. The Training School was one of two wings added to the Administration Building in 1909. It was used as the University School and High School until 1969. Together with the Administration Building and Women’s Gym, the Training School was renamed East Hall in 1952. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939 and was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center.
Manual Arts Building, f...
exwa_wmup_u-10166
 
Title Manual Arts Building, front and right corner, Western Michican University
Time Period [1940 - 1949, 1950 - 1959]
Description Entrance of the Manual Arts Building. In the foreground is a gravel parking lot.
Manual Arts Building, f...
exwa_wmup_u-10168
 
Title Manual Arts Building, front, Western Michigan University
Time Period [1940 - 1949, 1950 - 1959]
Description Entrance of Manual Arts Building. In the foreground is a gravel drive.
McCracken Hall, front e...
1949
exwa_wmup_u-10516
 
Title McCracken Hall, front entrace, Western State Teachers College
Date 1949
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Front entrance of William McCracken Hall at the time of construction in 1949. It was used as a chemistry facility. The first building on West Campus, McCracken Hall was named after well-known faculty member, William McCracken, head of the chemstry department from 1907-1939. A Paper Industries Laboratory was added to McCracken Hall in 1959 to support the nation's second Paper Technology program. One wing was torn down in 2017. The building was demolished in 2019.
McCracken Hall, side en...
1949
exwa_wmup_u-10518
 
Title McCracken Hall, side entrance, Western State Teachers College
Date 1949
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Exterior of William McCracken Hall at the time of construction in 1949. It was used as a chemistry facility. The first building on West Campus, McCracken Hall was named after well-known faculty member, William McCracken, head of the chemstry department from 1907-1939. A Paper Industries Laboratory was added to McCracken Hall in 1959 to support the nation's second Paper Technology program. One wing was torn down in 2017. The building was demolished in 2019.
Mechanical Trades Build...
ca. 1945
exwa_wmup_u-10468
 
Title Mechanical Trades Building, facade, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1945
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Exterior of the Mechanical Trades Building which was constructed in 1940 for the purposes of vocational training. Cars are parked in the front of the building. Ornamentation in the façade featured airplane propellers and one of the early classes taught out of this building was aviation mechanics. North Hall and West Hall are visible in the background.
Natural Science Buildin...
exwa_wmup_u-10159
 
Title Natural Science Building, side view with greenhouse, Western State Teachers College
Time Period [1930 - 1939, 1940 - 1949]
Description Photograph of the south side of Natural Science Building and greenhouse on East Campus of Western State Teachers College. View of Natural Science Building, particially obscurred by trees, and sidewalk to Oakland Drive.
Porticoes of Administra...
exwa_wmup_u-10107
 
Title Porticoes of Administration Building and Gym addition, Western State Teachers College
Time Period [1930 - 1939, 1940 - 1949]
Description Porticoes of the Administration Building and Gym addition (East Hall). View looking north. The Administration Building was completed in 1905. The Gymnasium addition was completed in 1908.
Post Office Building, K...
1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street during demolited. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking southwest shows Richardsonian Romanesque structure with corner tower surrounded by light fixtures, utility poles and traffic lights.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at the southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking northwest shows almost all of the building gone except for a few sections of exterior walls. East side entrance stairs war gone. Salavaged materials surround building. Park Builidng most prominent in background.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking northwest shows majority of exterior walls down, only first floor remaining. Salvaged materials on ground. Park Building on horizon. People and cars walk along South Burdick.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph, looking west, shows only the first floor remaining. Most of the walls are gone but view shows the layout of the various rooms.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph is looking southwest showing portion of building without roof and without glass in the windows. Also shows a portion of the Michigan Bell Telephone Building next door.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking west showing roof of tower and building both removed. Also glass from windows also removed.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph looking southeast towards rear of the building. People walking down West South Street. Glass removed from windows of Richardsonian Romanesque structure. Roof of front tower has also been removed. Two men are standing on the roof.
Post Office Building, K...
ca. 1940
Kalamazoo (Mich.)
 
Title Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, during demolition
Date ca. 1940
Description Red brick Post Office Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, located at southwest corner of South Burdick Street and West South Street. Completed in 1892, it was used into the 1930s and later demolished in 1940. Photograph, looking northwest, shows south side of the Richardsonian Romanesque structure along South Burdick Street. It is the original 1892 building seen along with 1904 addition to west. Glass removed from several of the windows including the corner tower. Also shows street lamps.
Snow covered drive, Eas...
ca. 1940?
exwa_wmup_u-10044
 
Title Snow covered drive, East Campus, Western Michigan University
Date ca. 1940?
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of students walking along the snow covered campus drive on East Campus, Western Michigan University. In the background are the South side of the Health and Personnel Building, and the back of the Training School and the Administration Building. The Health and Personnel building opened in 1939. It was later renamed the Speech and Hearing Center.
Training School in wint...
exwa_wmup_u-10105
 
Title Training School in winter, Western Michigan University
Time Period [1930 - 1939, 1940 - 1949]
Description Photograph of the Training School in winter. View looking up hill. A man stands on top of high looking down.
Training School, Wester...
ca. 1944
exwa_wmup_u-10116
 
Title Training School, Western Michigan College of Education
Date ca. 1944
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Photograph of the Training School from north, Western Michigan College of Education. The Training School was one of two additions to the original Administration Building on Normal Hill (earlier Prospect Hill), completed in 1909.
West Hall and Power Bui...
ca. 1945
exwa_wmup_u-10037
 
Title West Hall and Power Building at Michigan College of Education
Date ca. 1945
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Natural Science Building with the power plan in the foreground. View is from Oakland Drive looking east. The Science Building, possibly designed by Louis Kamper, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at West Hall. For over 30 years, West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
West Hall with greenhou...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10150
 
Title West Hall with greenhouse at Western State Teachers College, facing south
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description South facade of West Hall, originally known as the Natural Science Building and Science Hall. The greenhouse was added to the building in 1940. The Science Building, designed by E. W. Arnold, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at Western State Normal School in 1915. West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences for over 30 years. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
West Hall, northeast fa...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10160
 
Title West Hall, northeast facade, on the East Campus of Western State Teachers College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Northeast facade of West Hall, formerly known as the Natural Science Building and Science Hall. The Science Building, designed by E. W. Arnold, was later named West Hall. Located on East Campus, it was the second building to open at Western State Normal School in 1915. West Hall was used as the physical and natural sciences for over 30 years. The last use for the building was in 2006, when the Geology Department used it for a core lab. The building was demolished in 2013.
Women standing in parki...
ca. 1940
exwa_wmup_u-10017
 
Title Women standing in parking lot, East Campus, Western Michigan College
Date ca. 1940
Time Period 1940 - 1949
Description Woman standing under a sign in the parking lot behind the Administration Building, Western Michigan College, Kalamazoo, Michigan. In the background is the front of the Library building, constructed in 1924.
1-33 of 33